New Books

New Books
Small Creations

Friday, April 30, 2010

Silver Touch





I have been working on this book all week and finished it today. It was such a pleasure to create. When in Germany a couple of years ago, I found this fabulous silver crepe-like paper. It is delicate to work with, has a textured surface, and when glued and smoothed out with the bone folder the texture changes and it feels like silk. The small indents that occured when working on the book cover have a patina like quality and when used, it will continue to develop. I am often inspired by architecture and when reading about it or watching a show about architects and their designs, I usually come up with my own book designs. In the centre of this book, I have created a city scape using the same silver paper, copper foil, miniture photos, a red film used in photography and a drawing. When the centrefold is opened up, different views and colours can be observed through the windows. I have used an 80 lb. recycled drawing paper for the text blocks and there are 70 pages in this book. It measures 8.25 x 12.25 inches (21 x 31.1 cm).