New Books

New Books
Small Creations

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Artist Trading Cards and The Cube

One day I was slowly cruising through an Architecture Digest magazine and came upon an sections involving 'Interesting Finds'.  As I gazed upon the 'Finds' I realized I could incorporate the design into my bookbinding and book art.  One of these 'Finds' was The Cube, a desk designed by Lella and Massimo Vignelli.  The original Cube was made from red and black leather provided by Poltrona Fau, the company that supplies the leather for BMW, Ferrari and Maserati. 

The Cube was constructed of two parts: a writing surface and a supporting rotating Cube.  Since I was very much into artist trading cards, I decided I could create a model of the Cube, using my bookbinding and box making techniques.  The final product consists of three parts: 1) the Cube is used to store artist trading cards, 2) the desk top, when expanded, is used to display the cards at a trade, and 3) the supporting leg holds a book used to record  traders' contact information.  

My Cube was published in the ATC Quarterly, Summer 2009.